Sunday, September 28, 2008

A interesting perspective of Advertising

This weekend all I've been doing is looking at various magazines just thinking about how to create a new design. While I was looking I noticed that many Ads don't have logos or title about what selling the product. This image below is an image with just a tag line and a full page of the character of a video game. I started to wonder why this ad was so successful that it had to be printed. There isn't a name or idea of who this person is on the front page. Than I realized that this Ad was intended only for gamers. You obviously wouldn't find this in a magazine about movie stars or about weddings of some sort. What got me though was the fact that the image was so strong that it didn't need its own logo or name of the game on the side or anywhere on the Ad. The idea of this ad was through how powerful the image could be and easy it is to recognize who this person was even without showing his full face.



Another Ad that I came across was actually a few pages that was meant to grab your attention. This ad was for a game that was solely intent to draw you in little by little using small excerpts of a page until it reached the main page.

Pay Attention to the bottom parts of the first two pages than to the main page.


The image in this final page makes the other two previous pages visually strong as an Ad.



6 Comments:

Blogger glam417 said...

Those ads are interesting... I don't think I would've taken much notice to the fact that there's no title anywhere. I agree that it's obviously aimed toward the gamers--they would be the only ones who would notice!

That clown mask really creeps me out, though. I think that ad has effectively convinced me to lay off of the game!

September 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a gamer and I think gaming ads are useless. The only people who would recognize the first image are people who've played the God of War games, and if you've already played them, you probably don't need a magazine ad to convince you to buy the sequel (which is what the ad is for).

And I don't know who would get turned on by the second ad. Maybe I'm just old (for a gamer) and all the freaky shock value imagery just isn't targeted toward me anymore.

September 29, 2008 at 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion the use of bright orange grabs our first attention and then it leads us to the game part.

September 30, 2008 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Norik Pezeshkian said...

Well, I think these ads are subliminal because they are trying to convey the message, "look, it's only a game and it cannot harm the future of our society, our children..." etc. People think our nation is doomed simply because games have gotten out of control and require more "M" ratings than ever, but I disagree. It's not the game that makes the person.

October 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger N•tt said...

Well, Those ads are designed for a specific target groups(gamers) who know what are those ads about. Therefore, words, logos, and descriptions are not necessary for those images.

October 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger Scarlet Juliette said...

Oh thanks so much for sharing KRATOS from God of War. Right off the bat I knew who it was. I've played both games and I loved every moment of them. I am not into violentgames but this one was appealing because of its greek nature. And, you are right.I have always noted different magazines have a targeted audience with ads. I found Wired magazine is more sophisticated in advertisement compared to lets say COSMO. Good point and observation.

October 4, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home